newMoves Contemporary Dance Festival
ABOUT KST’S NEWMOVES CONTEMPORARY DANCE FESTIVAL 2020
KST’s newMoves Contemporary Dance Festival is back May 14-16, 2020. For 2020, the festival takes a focus on dance and social justice. We welcome national and international artists from the Propelled Animals collective for the world premiere performances of TRANSMISSION on Friday & Saturday, May 15 & 16. On Thursday, May 14 & Saturday, May 16, KST will present a showcase of work from local choreographers working at the intersection of dance and social justice. Pittsburgh based artists can use the form below to apply to participate in the showcase.
Launched in 2009, newMoves Contemporary Dance Festival is a platform for contemporary dancers and choreographers to advance the work of Pittsburgh-based artists, put their work in dialogue with national and international peers, and invite audiences to encounter new artists and ideas.
ABOUT THE PITTSBURGH ARTIST SHOWCASE
KST Presents is seeking three 20-minute projects to be featured in a mixed bill program on Thursday, May 14 at 8:00pm & Saturday, May 16 at 4:00pm. Projects can be finished works, or works in development. You will be asked to describe the creation/presentation status of the work in the form below.
SELECTED ARTISTS WILL RECEIVE
- A 20 minute slot in the newMoves 2020 Pittsburgh Artist Showcase to be presented at KST’s Alloy Studios (Downstairs Studio) on Thursday May 14 at 8:00pm & Saturday, May 16 at 4:00pm.
- A stipend of $500.00 USD.
- 16 Hours of Rehearsal Space at KST’s Alloy Studios (pending availability).
- Technical Rehearsal at KST’s Alloy Studios with 1.5 Hours of dedicated Technical Rehearsal for your piece plus a full dress rehearsal of the entire showcase program.
- Photo & Video Documentation of the performance.
- newMoves Festival passes for participating artists.
HOW TO APPLY
Use the form below to apply by Tuesday, March 17, 2020 at 11:59pm. All applicants will be notified as to their participation by Monday, March 23, 2020.
You must be a resident of Pittsburgh and its surrounding neighborhoods. Priority will be given to artists who have NOT been showcased at KST in the past season.
Projects will be selected through a panel process, with a panel comprised of KST Presents staff and at least one local artist. Panelists will be looking for works that successfully engage the intersections of dance and social justice. The applications and work samples will be evaluated based on following:
- Vitality of the proposed project, its ideas and how it manifests them in performance;
- Quality and integrity of the work of the artists, collaborators, instructors and/or panelists;
- Appropriateness of the project to a festival format, KST venues, and KST philosophy;
- Artist/organizer’s ability to successfully realize the proposed project.
Please review application timeline below:
- Tuesday, February 17, 2020: newMoves Pittsburgh Artist Showcase Application Live!
- Tuesday, March 17, 2020, 11:59pm: newMoves Pittsburgh Artist Showcase Application Closes!
- Monday, March 23, 2020: Applicants notified regarding their participation.
If you have questions you can contact KST Senior Producer, Ben Pryor via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Check out TRANSMISSION by Propelled Animals
Kelly Strayhorn Theater
Pay What Makes You Happy!
TRANSMISSION is a site adaptive work centered on art as social action and ritual as performance. Through kinesthetic, sonic, visual, and aural experiences the collective, Propelled Animals, offers a restorative space to counter traumas inflicted by systemic injustice. Click to read more and get tickets!