CALL FOR PROPOSALS
including workshops, studio showings, conversations, and more!
DEADLINE: APRIL 1, 2019
Kelly Strayhorn Theater is currently accepting applications for its annual newMoves Contemporary Dance Festival. For our 10th Anniversary Season, this special edition will focus on the sharing of dance processes and knowledges, encouraging points of dialogue, inquiry and exchange among our community. Additionally, we will host evening length performances by guest company Ananya Dance Theater, whose socially engaged process and creative vision further enhance the conversation.
Launched in 2009, newMoves Contemporary Dance Festival is a platform for contemporary dancers and choreographers to advance the work of Pittsburgh-based artists, put their work in dialogue with national and international peers, and invite audiences to encounter new artists and ideas.
For this call, we envision three tracks: workshops and/classes; short, no-tech, in-process showings; and conversation topics or platforms for discussion—but we also welcome distinct proposals that resist categorization! The festival takes place two venues: the historic Kelly Strayhorn Theater, and at KST’s Alloy Studios.
newMoves Contemporary Dance Festival offers an opportunity for choreographers to showcase new works, provides valuable exposure and a rich peer network. Past festival artists have included: Sidra Bell (NYC), Kyle Abraham (NYC), Marjani Forte (NYC), Staycee Pearl (PGH), Murphy/Smith Dance Collective (PGH) and many more.
||April 1, 2019
||April 17, 2019
|10th annual newMoves Contemporary Dance Festival
||May 8 – 12, 2019
HOW TO APPLY
Applications must be submitted via the online application form, which can be accessed at the link below. More information, including, criteria and sample questions follow.
Projects are selected through a proposal process, with an emphasis on new projects in development and/or early career artists. The most competitive proposals will be for original works that have not yet had been presented in Pittsburgh. The applications and work samples will be evaluated based on following:
- Vitality of the proposed project, its ideas and its opportunities for engagement;
- Quality and integrity of the work of the artists, collaborators, instructors and/or panelists;
- Appropriateness of the project to a festival format and KST venues;
- Artist/organizer’s ability to successfully realize the proposed project.
- Contact information, including full name, mailing address, telephone number and email;
- Artist Statement and Bio and/or CV;
- One-page proposal for your workshop, class, conversation, or no-tech in-process studio showing, etc., including a description of your project, the maximum number of participants (or performers for showings), and any other important details;
- Links to up to three, three-minute work samples that reflect the artists, curators, or instructors involved;
- Work sample description sheet, including viewing cue times, project creation date, collaborators, and additional information relevant to your proposed work;
- OPTIONAL: Up to three pages of supplementary materials, including design sketches, press, etc.
To learn more about the festival, including past programs browse our past newMoves posts on kelly-strayhorn.org.