Freshworks is KST’s month-long creative residency for Pittsburgh based artists and collaborators. The program supports interdisciplinary collaborations in contemporary dance, theater, music and multimedia and provides artists with studio space, production support, lighting and sound design, professional development and encouragement for creative risk taking. The month-long residency culminates with an in-process performances during Unblurred: First Fridays on Penn Avenue.
Freshworks made its debut at KST in 2013 supporting the playful exploration of new works and encouraging creative risk taking through interdisciplinary collaborations. The program was launched with an initial grant from The Fine Foundation.
Before you apply, download and review the full program guidelines here. If you still have questions about the program and or eligibility after reviewing the guidelines, please contact KST’s Senior Producer, Ben Pryor at email@example.com.
Freshworks Application Deadline: Wednesday, July 10 at 11:59pm
In order to be eligible to apply, artists must…
- Reside in the Pittsburgh area.
- Propose working with a new collaborator from a different primary discipline.
- NOTE: Projects exploring the intersections of humanities, technology and social practice are encouraged.
HOW IT WORKS
- Artists are invited to apply together as cross-disciplinary collaborative pairs.
- Three artist pairings will be granted studio space over the course of a month followed by a one night showing with marketing and production support including lighting, sound and projection.
THE PROGRAM PROVIDES
- 80 hours of studio time at KST’s Alloy Studios to develop a new cross-disciplinary collaborative work.
- A one night in-progress performance with production support including lighting, sound and projection at KST’s Alloy Studios as a part of Unblurred: First Fridays.
- Consultations with KST staff throughout the residency on developing their artistic project, working with light, sound and projection, and further fundraising for the continued development of their project.
- An honorarium to support their performance presentation. Kelly Strayhorn Theater recognizes that this honorarium will most likely not cover all of the costs related to the projects.
- Photo and video documentation of their work-in-progress showing.
ARTISTS ARE REQUIRED TO
- Partner with one or more new collaborator(s) from another discipline for the duration of the residency program. For example, a painter and a dancer; a sound artist and a theater maker; a visual artist and a choreographer…
- Host a public class or workshop during their residency that is related to the artistic inquiry of the project.
- Present an in-progress performance on the first Friday of the month following their residency to be presented in conjunction with Unblurred: First Fridays on Penn Avenue.
Luke Murphy | slowdanger | Mark Conway Thompson | Anthony Williams | Alan Obuzor | Anqwenique Wingfield | Jasmine Hearn | Alisha Wormsley | Bill Shannon | Jennifer Meridian and Hannah G Thompson | The DANA Movement Ensemble | Lori Hepner and Kendra Ross | Anthony B. Mitchell Jr and Noel Quintana | Vatic Kuumba, Darrell Kinsel, and Anqwenique Wingfield | Maree ReMalia | Gigi Gatewood and Lillian Cho | Gladstone Deluxe and Samir Gangwani | Kelsey Robinson and Di-Ay Battad | Trevor Miles and Julie Mallis | Vatic Kuumba, D.S. Kinsel & Anqwenique Wingfield | Anthony Mitchell Jr. and Noel Quintana