Fresh Works is a month long creative residency program for Pittsburgh based artists and artist collaborative groups. Fresh Works focuses on supporting innovation, creativity and professional development for artists working in contemporary dance, theater or multimedia arts who are seeking cross-genre collaborations. The month long residency culminates with a performance during Unblurred: First Fridays on Penn Avenue.
Fresh Works Residency made its debut at KST in 2013 supporting Pittsburgh based artists in the playful exploration of new works. The program provides artists with production support, lighting and sound design, studio space and encouragement for creative risk taking through interdisciplinary collaborations.
Mark Conway Thompson
- Access to 80 hours of studio time over the course of one month during our Fall 2016 season.
- Access to our Alloy Studios, schedule to be approved by Alloy Studios Manager.
- Production support including lighting and sound design assistance.
- Resident artists are provided with a stipend per residency month. Kelly Strayhorn Theater recognizes that this stipend will most likely not cover all of the Resident artists’ costs.
- Resident artist must work with a new collaborator for the duration of the residency program.
- Host public Master class or workshop related to residency inquiry during residency period.
- Residency concludes with work-in-progress performance on the first Friday of the following month in conjunction with Penn Avenue First Fridays: Unblurred.
- Photography and videography documentation of residency and work-in-progress performance.
Eligible artists must:
- Reside in the Pittsburgh area.
- Be interested in exploring the intersection of humanities or technology and social practice are preferred.
- Be working with new collaborations.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send email to firstname.lastname@example.org with PDF attachments of the following:
- Artist(s) name, address, email and phone number.
- Artist(s) biography (100 word maximum).
- Collaboration Description (1 page maximum) containing the following information:
- Who is this collaboration between?
- Have you created a work with this collaborator before?
- If so, in what way is the collaboration new?
- What do you seek to explore/discover through this collaboration?
- Letter of Interest (1 page maximum) containing the following information:
- Description of proposed new work (Maximum 100 words).
- Interest in this particular program.
- 2 Links to work samples created in the last two years for each collaborative individual.
Applications will be reviewed by KST programming staff and advisors. Notification of selection will be emailed. Additional work or information may be requested for review.
Applications for Fall 2016 season must be submitted by Friday, July 29, 2016 4pm.
If you have any questions about this program or any aspect of the proposal process, please contact:
Andrea Petrillo, Associate Producer